What is faith?
I was scrolling through the “#Jesus” twitter feed when an unexpected tweet caught my eye. This tweet read; “Faith = 1/4 wishful thinking, 1/2 willful ignorance, & 1/4 gullibility.” Now, I usually don’t get into conversations with people online, because it rarely changes any-ones opinion or ends well. And, the fact that this guy “hash-tagged” Jesus, (#Jesus- for my non-twitter people out there, #hash-tags are simply the way to make any topic search-able through the powerful twitter search engine) and compared him to a leprechaun, just meant he was looking to argue/tick-off some Jesus followers.
My response to tekphreak, and atheists/agnostics who argue against the idea of faith, is that atheist do believe in the practical reality of faith, like it or not! Mariam Websters defines faith as this:
“ (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof
(2) : complete trust”
Here is my argument against Tekphreak.
1. Atheists have a firm belief that God does not exist
2. They can not prove that God does not exist.
3. Therefore, they have faith that God does not exist…. but, they still have faith! It might be faith in their own understanding, and not God, but it’s still faith! “A firm belief in something they can not prove!”
1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
What do you think? Read my conversation and tell me how would you have responded to Tekphreak? Do you believe a person can have NO faith? …In anything?
Other Popular Posts
- Church closes food bank because it attracts poor people. 0 comments
- Top 10 Weirdest things ever sold on ebay 0 comments
- "…Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!" 0 comments
- Why New Years Resolutions Don’t Work. 0 comments
- About The Ordained Barista 0 comments
- INFP-Personality Type 0 comments
- Do You See God In This Video? I Do! (watch before Thanksgiving dinner!) 0 comments