Are you a birthday person? I know you have a birthday. I am wondering of you like celebrating your birthday? I think the older you get the less enthusiastic you become about your birthday. That’s how I was feeling when I walked into Starbucks this morning to use my Starbucks Gold Card birthday coupon and get my free cup of birthday coffee. The barista behind the counter wished me a surprisingly enthusiastic “Happy Birthday” and asked me how old I was. I triumphantly told her, “I am 40.” She responded by saying, in a rather taunting tone, “Wow, 40… You’re half way there.” I smiled and nodded, but I was not amused. However, that did get me thinking. Half way to where? Am I going to Disney World? And, If I am “half way there”, what have I learned at the half way point?
So, today’s post is about the few (and I mean few) things I have learned in my last 40 years.
- Cocoa Pebbles make the best cereal milk.
- Now I know why my dad read in the bathroom.
- Snow is a four letter word.
- Watching peolpe run is not the same thing as running.
- Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
- Your children, not your profession, are your legacy.
- Love is a verb.
- I Love my wife, Rachel, more than I did when we got married.
- Knowing why I am here, on this earth, has made all the difference! Matthew 22:34-40
Whether you are 40 are not, tell me one or two things you have learned to this point in your life? The best answer will win a Starbucks “Mug Award” (lapel pin).
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I know what I really want for my birthday. I would love for you to become a subscriber to the Ordained Barista Blog! Just click the RSS link in the coffee mug at the top of the page or enter your email address in the side bar! I am trying to get to 500 subscribers, so please spread the word.